- 3 pounds ripe sweet cherries (approx. 11 cups full cherries, or 4 cups chopped)
- 1 package powder pectin (approx. 3 1/2 tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 5 cups sugar
- Stem and pit cherries. Chop is desired.
- In a 6 to 8-quart heavy pot, combine the cherries, pectin, almond extract, and lemon juice. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar.
- Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1-minute, keep stirring.
- Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon (I personally like to do this while the mixture is still boiling, but be careful).
- Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized jars, leaving a 1/4 headspace (distance from the rim). Wipe jar rims and apply lids.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 5-minutes (start the timer when water is boiling).
- Remove jars from canner; cool.
NOTE: Don’t have fresh cherries? No problem, frozen will work too.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes & Gardens.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Number of Servings: 6 jars (500 ml)