4 Ingredient No-Knead Artisan Bread
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ – 2 tsp. kosher sea salt*
- ½ tsp. active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water
- Whisk the flour, salt and yeast in a medium bowl. While stirring with a wooded spoon, gradually add the water, stir until incorporated. Mix the dough gently and form into a rough ball.
- Transfer to a large clean (ungreased) bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a draft-free area at room temperature until surface of dough is covered with tiny bubbles and the dough has more than doubled in size (This usually takes about 18 hours or so, however, it still turns out great with just 12 hours of rise time).
- When the dough is ready, place a Dutch oven into the oven and turn it on to 450 degrees. Allow it to heat in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, transfer the dough to a well-floured surface. Take the corners and fold under, creating a ball. Place on a large square of parchment paper (big enough to cover the bottom of your Dutch oven). Dust dough with flour, cover it with plastic wrap and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Using a sharp knife, at a 90 degree angle, score an X in the top of the loaf. Each score mark should be about 2½ inches long and about ¼” deep. Using a mister, spray bottle, clean toothbrush or pastry brush, lightly mist (or brush) the top of the bread with water.
- Carefully remove Dutch oven from the oven. Place the shaped dough into it, cover and return to the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for an additional 8-15 minutes or until the top is nice and dark (but not burnt). Remove from the oven and transfer the loaf bread to a cooling rack (SEE NOTES). Allow it to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- If you don’t have a Dutch Oven, you can use the insert of a crock-pot (and the lid) or any deep enameled stoneware you might have (like a round baker or casserole dish), just cover it with foil.
- You can easily add whatever mix-in you like. We’ve tried, herbs & garlic, dried fruit & chopped toasted nuts, and even cheese! Just add them in step 1.
- *I like to adjust the salt according to my mix-ins. PLEASE USE COARSE KOSHER SEA SALT, not table salt!!
- For really crunchy loaf, allow the loaf to “cool” for 30 minutes on the rack of a partially open (and OFF) oven, just like you would a cheesecake. Remove & slice!
Recipe From Lifemadesimplebakes.com
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: