Chicken Pot Pie with Cauliflower Crust
- Preheat the oven to 120 degrees F (50 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put cauliflower into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it resembles rice. Transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Set aside and cool cauliflower completely, about 10 minutes.
- Place cauliflower rice in a cheesecloth and squeeze out as much water as possible to ensure that it crisps during the cooking process. Spread cauliflower onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes. Stir and continue baking about 7 minutes more.
- Remove cauliflower from the oven and stir to mix and dry as it cools.
- Increase the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Put cooled cauliflower rice into a bowl. Add 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, egg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper and mix until completely combined. Press mixture into the bottom and around the edges of an 8-inch round, nonstick, baking pan to form a crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and cook bacon until crisp and the fat has rendered. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add peas and mushrooms; cook until mushrooms have softened and peas are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and cream into the skillet with the chicken mixture. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and stir well. Reduce heat and simmer at a low boil until sauce has reduced by one-fourth, about 5 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water together in a bowl to create a paste. Add slowly to the chicken mixture in the skillet, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Pour chicken mixture into prebaked cauliflower crust. Top with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven’s broiler.
- Place chicken pot pie under the broiler until browned and bubbling, 5 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool about 5 minutes before serving.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Number of Servings: