Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns
200 g brown rice flour
150 g white rice flour
150 g tapioca starch
1 cup warm nut milk almond/cashew, hemp or oat milk
1/2 cup pure maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon active dry gluten free yeast equivalent to 1x 7g sachet
2/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup coconut oil melted
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon clove powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Zest of one orange and one lemon
1 cup raisins
2 tablespoons of the brown or white rice flour and enough warm water to mix into a paste
1 heaped tablespoon coconut sugar dissolved in boiling water
Preheat oven to 180˚C (356˚F).
- Mix the warm nut milk (body temperature is warm enough), maple syrup and yeast in a bowl and leave for five minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine apple sauce and coconut oil. Then add the yeast mixture and whisk well.
- Add the flour mix, spices, zest and raisins.
- Kneed into a dough, adding a little water or flour if needed.
- Dust a board with gluten free flour.
- Pat dough into a rectangle then divide into 10 equal portions.
- Shape them further into a bun and arrange them close together in a rectangle again.
- Cover with a tea towel. Let sit to rise for at least an hour, although, to be honest, there wasn’t a lot of rising action happening (perhaps with a leavening agent?).
- Mix up the paste for the cross then pipe over the buns.
- Bake for 15 to 20 mins.
- Once cooked, brush with the glaze.