Southwestern Three Bean & Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 9 cups water
- 4 cups (32-ounce carton) reduced-sodium chicken broth, “no-chicken” broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup pearl barley
- ⅓ cup dried black beans
- ⅓ cup dried great northern beans
- ⅓ cup dried kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, broth, barley, black beans, great northern beans, kidney beans, chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- Bring to a lively simmer over high heat.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, 1¾ to 2½ hours (adding more water, ½ cup at a time, if necessary or desired).
- Season with salt.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Number of Servings: 6