Vegan Coconut Spiced Carrot Soup Recipe
- grape seed oil for the pan
- 1 cup yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 6 1/4 cup carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 3/4 cups light coconut milk
- salt and granulated sugar to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Coat the bottom of a large soup pot with grape seed oil and place it over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they’re soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and spices and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Pour in the water and coconut milk, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer until the carrots and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- In two batches, so it’s not too full, pour the soup into a powerful blender and blend on high until it’s completely smooth. (I use the blender for this soup because I love it super, silky smooth — however, you can also use an immersion blender, and get close to the same effect.) Please note that when you blend hot liquids in the blender, you have to hold down the lid very firmly. If you don’t, the hot liquid, vibration, and steam can force the lid off.
- Once the soup is blended, return it to the pot. Add the cayenne pepper, and then the salt and sugar to taste.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Number of Servings: