Oven Risotto With Crispy Roasted Mushrooms
- 1 lb. mixed wild, shiitake, and/or crimini mushrooms, broken into pieces or sliced 1/4″ thick (about 4 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, thinly sliced
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 3/4 tsp. (or more) kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or white wine
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 oz. finely grated Parmesan (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley leaves
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- Place racks in bottom third and middle of oven; preheat to 350°F. Toss mushrooms, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup oil, and 1/2 tsp. salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast on bottom rack, tossing halfway through, until deeply golden brown and crisped, 25–30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large ovenproof Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and slightly translucent, 3–5 minutes. Stir in rice; season with pepper and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until some grains are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add vermouth, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until pan is almost dry, about 2 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups stock. Bring to a simmer, then cover and bake in oven until liquid is mostly absorbed but rice is still slightly firm in the center, 16–18 minutes.
- Return pot to stove and heat over medium. Add remaining 1/2 cup stock and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is tender but still has some bite and sauce is creamy, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan, butter, and lemon zest; season to taste with salt, if needed. Add a little bit of warm water, if needed, until risotto is thick but still pourable.
- Transfer risotto to a platter. Top with crispy mushrooms and parsley. Drizzle with oil. Serve with lemon wedges alongside.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Number of Servings: 4 servings