Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound (450g) lean ground beef
- 5 bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup diced Cremini or button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup crushed tomato
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (provolone, mozzarella, swiss…)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut the top of the peppers and remove the seeds and ribs. Dice the top of the peppers to use in the stuffing. Arrange bell peppers in a microwave-safe baking dish with 1/4 cup water in the bottom. Microwave the peppers for 4 – 5 minutes until slightly softened. Drain the water from the dish and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat and brown ground beef without stirring, until you get a brown crust; then break the beef apart. Continue cooking until almost half of the beef is browned. Remove the beef and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, melt the remaining tablespoon butter. Add onion and mushrooms and brown for one minute before stirring, then brown for another minute before stirring again. Add diced bell pepper and continue cooking for one minute or so.
4. Add the beef back into the pan with crushed tomato and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for one minute and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Stir in shredded cheese and mix well until cheese is melted.
5. Scoop the mixture into the bell peppers and top with more cheese. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until bubbling and cheese is completely melted. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve. Enjoy!